Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dare


A little while ago, I bought a bunch of 4" x 4" x 1.5" canvases for a swap I was participating in. I bought extras because it's a great chunky shape and size. I decided to play with one for today's post. I started  by scribbling various yellows of Neocolor II crayon over the entire canvas. The colour was spread and blended using a wet brush. Once dry, gelatos and Big Brush pens in the yellow and orange tones were added to deepen the colour in places, particularly around the edges of the front and sides.

White gesso was applied to the background through TCW's Halftone Borders and Well Rounded stencils. Jet Black Archival ink was used to stamp a TH script stamp by rolling it onto the background for an incomplete impression. Another TH splatter stamp was used to add random dots with the same Archival ink. It's important to use Archival ink which won't smear if more wet layers get added. Since my designs evolve intuitively (without planning or sometimes even thinking :D), I never know when I might add another liquid layer so it's best to be prepared rather than be limited or disappointed...been there!


The sun face comes from an Alpha Stamps collage sheet and the two black matted layers were fussy cut from gold coloured designer paper and inked with Worn Lipstick Distress ink. White gel pen dots were added to the top layer of rays. Each layer of the sun was popped up on foam tape for dimension. Inktense pencil was used to outline the sun and was activated with a waterbrush.


The Dare lettering is Idea-ology Alpha Tiles which were adhered to the canvas with Glossy Accents. More Glossy Accents adhered the cheesecloth cloud and the Idea-ology metal bird to the sky. Black and white striped washi tape was layered over a strip of white paper to make it opaque. This was adhered around the canvas with Scor tape. Black gesso rings were added to the edges with a bottle lid as a stamping tool.

My thought behind this piece was that sometimes one must dare to fly close to the sun in order to fulfill the dreams she has. It's worth the risk to gain the brilliance and warmth in life. When I started the piece, all I knew was that I wanted to use yellow...lol. Funny how things evolve.

Thanks for joining me on this creative venture today. I appreciate your time, your interest, and your support. You are awesome! I hope that some of the sunshine from this canvas spills into your life.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

The following linked up products found in the eclectic Paperie store were used in this project:

2 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

I love this funky chunky canvas, so full of sunshine. The striped ribbon on the edge looks fabulous, and I love the painty layers in the background. Sorry - I still feel like I'm chasing my tail trying to catch up with myself - so I'm behind again!
Alison xx
(Oh... has a little parcel arrived?!)

~ginny said...

Your eclectic style(S!) amaze me! That you enjoy, and are so skilled, with these wonderful layered color concepts and you can go to the far end of the spectrum to use a simple line digi to create something fun & with multiple paper layers with as much apparent delight. I am always inspired by your ability to wing easily between styles and interests - I ought to make that my current artistic goal!
~ginny