Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Again with the altered playing cards!


Here are another threesome of those altered playing cards I've been creating. I usually do a whole batch of them at once so I always have something ready to play with at any given moment. I do all of the prep work at once, and then all of the backgrounds in another sitting and so on. They are wonderful little surfaces for experimenting with colour combos or techniques. The first one makes me laugh both because of the fabulous Hatter image from Hidden Vintage Studios Down the Rabbit Hole but also because of the saying. The mesh is drywall tape, the stamping is a music score stamp. The stencilling is gesso pounced through TCW's Halftone borders, and the brown border is cut with an MFT die.


The second image is also from Hidden Vintage Studios, this time Just So Bossy, and is one of my favourite images. I love his facial expression...it just seems to say "What were you thinking?" as if we should know better than to leave him unsupervised. The stencilling on this one is gesso through TCW's Mini Punchinella stencil which is probably the one I use more than any other. The stamping is from a crackle stamp. The wording is popped up on foam tape for dimension.


The third playing card has a Tumble Fish Studios image. She looks so serious and yet matter of fact and seems to suit the wording so well. Between the dotty scraps is a scrap of burlap...love the texture that adds. The stencilling is gesso through TCW's Mini Tile Texture. Can you tell I love my stencils? I also love the red and purple on the background with the dramatic black contrast.

Anyway, that's the next three in the line-up. Again, these cards evolved out of a wonderful workshop, The Spoken Soul, by Mary Jane Chadbourne through Artful Gathering 2013. The DVD for this class is available for pre-order at this link. Mary Jane is teaching at Artful Gathering 2014...I can't wait to sign up for whatever she is offering. Thanks for taking the time to join me today. I am very grateful for your company.

Life is good; so is art.
Bonnie

2 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

Three brilliant pieces of "pause for thought" art... With each one the words stopped me in my tracks for another look, making me see the images freshly. Fabulous colour as always... and this trio definitely heads into first place in my affections!
Alison x

ParkNSlide said...

I love these---the captions are so spot on.