Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Altering Some Playing Cards...and keeping warm!


Well, brrrr! It's another frosty day out there...which is why I'm in here...lol. I've been playing with some more altered playing cards and because it's so very wintry outside, I've used very vibrant colours to warm things up. Not that I don't usually use brights but these seem exceptionally so as I played with new colour combinations. I won't go into details about the process for doing the backgrounds. Suffice it to say, I throw every kind of media on the playing cards to colourize and then throw in whatever stencilling, stamping, or doodling comes to mind...or fingers. The card above uses an image from Deviant Scraps which was fussy cut and adhered to a background of book page and cardstock scraps. A little piece of drywall mesh and flat pearls also found their way onto the card. you must admit, he is a colourful character!


The second card, Limited Edition, features another Deviant Scrap image on a background of French book text, punched and stamped circles, and some stencilling with the TH Measured layered stencil, one of my favourites. The little corner filigree piece is metal. We are all Limited Editions, none more so than children. It's so important to celebrate our individuality and be true to ourselves. That's what makes us remain LE.


 The last playing card features this hilarious romantic fellow purchased on Etsy. I don't know what it is about the combination of human bodies and animal or bird heads but they always amuse me. This guy is embracing the possibility that "She loves me". The background has some stencilling from TCW's Halftone borders, stamping with a Studio G stamp, and a chunk of paper where this half of the die cut was not used. I adhered the photo turn to the center of the bulls-eye stamped image with a brad. It reminds me of a game spinner where you take your chance and embrace possibility.

I started doing these altered playing cards following a wonderful Artful Gathering 2013 class by Mary Jane Chadbourne called The Spoken Soul. I see that the DVD for this class is available for pre-order for February 1st release. Here's the link - it's an awesome class with a gifted teacher.

Thanks for joining us today. My friends, seen above, and I appreciate your lovely visits and comments.
Stay warm...and make time to play soon!

Life is good, so is art.
Bonnie

3 comments:

Mary Jane said...

What a wonderful blog post, Bonnie! Your work is fantastic and so glad you enjoyed The Spoken Soul so very much....you certainly excelled in the techniques...your cards are stunning!

Mary Jane

ParkNSlide said...

You have definitely embraced and explored the possibility of wonderful new colors and are truly a Limited Edition. Love these!

Words and Pictures said...

Love your new - even brighter! - colour combinations... and surprisingly, I don't even think it's the blue/green that is my favourite! I love that dapper boy and that fabulous red/blue/violet combo!
Alison x