Sunday, February 15, 2015

Altered Playing Cards


After taking a class called The Spoken Soul with Mary Jane Chadbourne a few summers ago, I became addicted to creating these altered playing cards. Whenever I have some extra time or when my mojo has gone for a walk-about, I have a play with some of these. They are so addictive and pure fun! They are also a fabulous way to use those bits of scrap paper, borders, and embossed papers that I couldn't bear to throw away.


The backgrounds are created with Neocolor II crayons, gelatos, and big brush pen. Layers of stamping, stencilling, and paper scraps add interest to the backgrounds. I often create the various layers at one sitting so I will do all of the colour on a bunch. Then I stamps and stencil and in another sitting I will addd paper and texture like drywall tape. That way I can do bits when I have time and I always have something fun to work on when I'm not in the mood to do a larger project.


The fussy cut images come next. I often have a bunch printed, and sometimes all fussy cut. I combine them with a sentiment that fits and add some embellies to finish the design. Doodling and outlining are added at this point. The final step I do is to outline the edges with black Big Brush pen in a broad messy way to frame the whole card and add contrast. They make great little pieces of art to mail off to friends.

Thanks for stopping by today. I appreciate your company :)

Life is good: so is art.
Bonnie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are gorgeous Bonnie. How do you finish off the back?
Rose xx

ParkNSlide said...

As a recent recipient of several of these masterpieces, I can attest to their awesomeness. Thank you, Bonnie, these are amazing.